Ukulele and BYOD

For the next few weeks, I am going to be running a ukulele program at South March for Mrs. MacGillivray’s, M. Dillabaugh’s, Mrs. Broadhurst’s and Mr. Westover’s classes.  The school has purchased 30 ukuleles for use during Music class and I will be opening my classroom for some extra recess or after-school jam sessions.  So far it has been really fun!

Some students have started asking about purchasing their own ukuleles for home use.  This is not required but is certainly a great idea for students showing extra interest in learning the ukulele.  For those interested, our school ukuleles are Mahalo brand and are available at Long and McQuade, in Kanata, for about $35.00. 

One of the ways that we will be learning to play the ukulele is by using a fun app called Yousician, which allows students to move at their own pace.  To that end, I am inviting (but not requiring!) students to bring their own “devices” to our music classes.  This is my third year with BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) and below you will find some helpful information to guide you and your children with regards to this initiative:

What is some of the technology that we already have in class, for all students to use?
– laptops
– iPad (my personal iPad and one from the school)
– ChromeBooks  (which are unfortunately NOT compatible with Yousician)

What devices may students bring from home, for use in Music class with Madame Rudick?
– mp3 players (e.g. iPods)

– smartphones
– tablets (e.g. iPads)
– laptops
***Game systems (e.g. PSPs, Gameboys) are NOT permitted at school.

When can students use their devices?
– Students may only use their devices with the permission of the supervising teacher.
– This is a class-based initiative for my Junior Music students and is not representative of other classrooms in the school.  Once a student leaves Music class, my permission ends and the student must seek permission from their next teacher, should they wish to continue use.

– Students may not use their devices during snack or recess breaks, including from 9:00-9:15, as this may be considered anti-social behaviour.  One of the purposes of recess is to interact with other kids in a fun, face-to-face, live setting, outside and in nature. 
– Students may not use their cell phones to make phone calls during school hours or on school property.
– No borrowing or lending of personal devices between students.

What’s allowed?  What’s not allowed, in terms of use?
– While on school property, the use of any electronic device (personal or school property) is subject to the terms of the OCDSB Acceptable Use of Technology Agreement that was signed by both parents and students at the beginning of each school year. A copy of this policy can also be found on the board website at http://www.ocdsb.ca/ab-ocdsb/p-n-p/Pages/default.aspx.
– Unless otherwise directed to do so by the supervising teacher, students are not to take any pictures or videos using their device.

Who is responsible for loss or damage?
 Students accept the responsibility and risk of transporting their electronics to and from school.

– While at school, the student accepts responsibility for his/her device and its usage. The school cannot be held responsible for any loss, theft or damage. Personal property is not covered under either the school or OCDSB insurance policies.

Will students be allowed to bring their own devices for the rest of the year?
 My grade 5/6 students have been and may continue to bring in their own devices for French and Music for the rest of the year. This is a new initiative for my grade 4s and, as with all programs and initiatives I implement in my classes, I will continue to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and responsible use of BYOD in our Music classes, making changes if necessary. 

Does everyone have to bring something in?
– No!  We have technology already available in our class.  Every family should make the decision that they feel most comfortable with.

If you do decide to let your child bring in a “device”, please help him/her download the free Yousician app before music class, creating a username and password with their @ocdsb.ca e-mail address.

**Important information for Mrs. MacGillivray’s class:

1. You may only bring your own device on Thursdays.
  2. You may only bring your own device if you have handed in the completed
    permission form.
  3. Devices will be brought to French class on Thursday mornings, where they will
    remain until Music class at the end of the day.

**Important information for M. Dillabaugh’s class:

1. We will be working together during the week of April 18.
    permission form.

Feel free to contact me should you have any questions or concerns.

Let the adventure begin!

Mahalo (that’s “thank you” in Hawaiian)
Madame Joëlle Rudick

3 thoughts on “Ukulele and BYOD

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse de messagerie ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *